Sunday 14 August 2011

Eleven Gifts in depth, part 11: v

This was one of the easiest songs to conceive -- and I mean easy in a good, self-assuring way, not in a dismissive way, if you know what I mean. Basically, this song was begging to be written; firstly because, since it would be the closer of the suite, I wanted it to be VERY different, upbeat and sparkling; and secondly because it matched exactly the mood I wanted for it. It was a win-win situation, and I can't think of any better piece to fit in here.

Yet, it's the simplest song in the set - a boogie-woogie, nothing more, nothing less. Of course, me being me, I just have to twist it somehow; and the best way to do that was to use unexpected chords -- in this case, modulating from C major to C-sharp major, and so on and on, culminating in a crescendo over a diminished chord, and back to the main key. It didn't need to be anything else. It's one of my favourite tunes in here, for being so effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment